Saturday 23 April 2016

Initial Ideas -Book wise

  • The first were made as I was trying to figure out my essay question. Using More classic painting techniques for slightly more abstract imagery I think it well represent me being all over the place.
  • The hot dog books were just after the first draft of my essay I think they reflect the broader way I was looking at race and the Enlightenment era within my essay.
  • Developing the idea of re-identifying famous white figures in art as black was quite shallow and reflected the lack of depth and analysis of my first draft. 
  • The collaged and Velcro images were more insuite with my revitalised essay which looked more in depth at the significance of the positioning of black people within 17th & 18th Century paintings. Going with that I thought a more interactive element of being able to take the black person in and out of the image allowed the reader to see how interchangeable and throw away black people were viewed as being back in the day. 
  • The final Images are all evolved versions of the last to concept changes really. After talking to Richard about my new essay and him questioning how I could see it within a more modern context. I began to see my book as not just a summary of my essay (which I did) but began to see it as another learning tool to go antithesis to the essay. Reconfiguring the scale of 17/18th century paintings to focus on the black servant changed the dynamic of the painting and the value of the black servant. However by replacing the unknown blackamoor faces with Iconic black people within the pop-culture community the images then started today something entirely different from their original meaning. 

No comments:

Post a Comment