Wednesday 16 November 2016

A Trip to The Slavery Museum


  • I found recountment from activists and their own personal or familial involvement with racism to be very pointent. I'm under no illusion that there is no more racism in britain as I myself have experienced it. However this does reiterate a personal point which is to prove that those who say that racism or the ill treatment of black people fell with emancipation in 1835 a very wrong. 
  • These set of Yoruba Mask stuck me as well crafted with a strong sense of technique and skill. Something that to this day is ignored by westerners when talking about 'african' art, which is always seen as savage and naive suggesting that black people are unskilled and don't have the higher capabilities to be creative. Something these two masks prove wrong. 
  • These images along side some vocal and visual recreations really brought home the brutality of slavery. I have never felt such a gut wrenching sense of horror and disgust fill me like I had reading to methods used to mutilate black people and listening recounts of those whose captivity was documented. No amount of 'it was a different time' can ever make up for the atrocities of British slavery. Because those people felt, like we do, had thoughts like we do. And they decided to do this to other people. 
  • I found this statement to ring such truth in it's profanity and I feel like it links so well with what I am trying to say within my dissertation. 
  • The last slide really backs up the idea of how directly slavery helped finance britain as well as the concept of black people being seen as commodity and livestock to those buying and selling them.

    • No comments:

      Post a Comment