Tuesday 20 December 2016

Self Reflection 2

I dont want to fluff around the severity or horror of slavery. I want my work to allow for and honest look at the brutality of slavery. However not that i've decided not to go with the first thing that entered my mind and I've begun to think about it more and with the way my dissertation is shaping itself i'm finding that the links between art and slavery art always as literal or as clean cut as some would think and the lines between law being instated and acted allows for a grey area which those who want to deny their ancestors links to slavery pretend don't exist.

Inspired by the rhyming structure of 'This is the house that Jack Built' (M.Goose 1700's) which allows for an almost blunt statement through a rhyming linear syntax. It can be seen as semi inspired by Roald Dahls Revolting rhymes which takes a tale or concept well know and darkens it. However there is a less playful more factual basis to a series of images i'd create.
I wonder if the art i'm trying to create is becoming to literal. Becoming an illustration of my essay rather than a look at the synthesis behind the essay and the theory and context surrounding it. It certainly is beginning to synthesis some of the historical context in its content however I cannot theorise how this and the mediums chosen can be truly justified in the context of the dissertation or as its own stand alone work. 

No comments:

Post a Comment